Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Taize is hard...




Taize music is hard. Normally when I play guitar it's for a hymn, a liturgy, or a praise and worship song. In these cases the people have the music and for the most part will be fine if you give them the first note and guide them along.

In Taize it's different. First, your going for a meditative feel - so you can put the pick away for most songs, and forget about the power chords or strong hits... it is all about mood. Second, I'm teaching the songs by simply singing them. This means I have to come in strong and clear and confident, and then maintain that till the people catch on to what is being sung. There is no real relaxing.

All and all, it's good. If you can get to Taize in France I recommend it (theoretically... I hear it's awesome). If you can't, look up your local Roman Catholic retreat centre or something on those lines and you'll find it.

It's good to be stretched as a musician.

1 comment:

Erik Parker said...

I find it easier to finger pick while I sing. You don't have to keep a rhythm so intensely... Maybe its just me though.