Friday, March 14, 2008

Glory glory glory blah blah blah...


So I ran into some amazing Theology of Glory yesterday. I couldn't believe I was in a conversation with someone so clearly articulating the concept that IF YOU pray/believe/forgive THEN GOD will give you money, power, fame, sunshine etc...

You hear this theology a bit in different people longing for a good parking spot or praying for a sunny day at the beach... but there something profoundly scary about the way it was presented. After 10 mins of being talked at (and I do mean talked at... I don't think that he heard a thing that I said) I walked away with a sense that if anything bad happened the rest of the day, this man would blame my lack of prayer/belief/forgiveness and it would really be all my fault.

So... I'm sad that he's the new pastor in town because I think that he's going to be that guy that comes in with energy - attracts the energy of the community to him, and then the whole thing blows up in a judgemental mess that leaves everyone wounded and worse off than before. Then he'll leave and go do it somewhere else.

((sigh)) at least I have this picture of kids making fun of a pastor preaching...

No comments: