Monday, March 24, 2008

OHS Alert

Maybe it's the back ground in nursing where we spend a LOT of time talking about self care... and back care especially.

So, Easter Sunday, lots of families, lots of extra people, and I noticed my horrible body posture for giving communion.

As the faithful are comfortably kneeling down on the step, I'm bent over trying to pour wine from a chalice into little mini communion cups.

This is where the years of video games come in handy as this is a feat of hand eye coordination. Each cup is held at approx. my knee or waist height, and they are all held at varying levels of stability. Some are firmly held in a two hand grasp, some are tenuously held in one hand - slowly moving back and forth. And some cups are appear as if they are being held by a drunken sailor on a small boat in a large maelstrom.

All this activity is happening when I notice that by back is curved forward as far as it goes and is getting sore.

Well, I'll send an email to the Bishop and see if the Occupational and Health Department can look into this...

1 comment:

Erik Parker said...

I have just gotten to the point where I tell people to lift their little plastic cups higher. After two services on a Sunday my back is sore for the rest of the day.