Sunday, March 02, 2008

First Methadone Experience

So I had my first Methadone experience today.

I was visiting a group home for the acquired brain injury people and according to the chart, I had 3 pills and 4.5ml's of Methadone to give.

As I approached I was greeted with mono-sylabic grunts of the resident who showed me inside. He retrieved the locked box from the back room and brought it to me. We sat down on the couch and I fiddled with the lock on the box - the key was attached to the chart that I had.

I opened the box, found the pills and handed them over. As soon as I handed the pills over, he reached out and grabbed the Methadone and washed the pills down. Before I could say anything he drank the whole bottle... just chugged it all down... then he showed me to the door.

AAAGGH! My brain cried... I don't think that I handled that well.

I drove a block a way and called my supervisor only to find out that it's all good... the bottle is dosed and he's supposed to take the whole bottle. Man, what a relief. I don't know what that would mean to down a whole bottle but... we're all in the clear.

It's been a crazy couple days...

No comments: