Sunday, July 19, 2009

Family Reunions

This last weekend I was at the family reunion of my wife's dad's brothers and sisters. All the things you would expect including food, and wine, and beer, and laughter, and quads for the young and the old. I got to watch my son crash a 50cc quad into a rock, and into a barb wire fence (no injuries), I got to watch my first daughter enjoy the sun and just embrace life running back and forth from place to place, and I got to watch my youngest daughter begin to engage the world in new ways by crawling and running around everywhere. It was awesome.

It's interesting to be an outsider looking in on a family reunion. I don't know all the stories or the history of the joys or the pains of this family, but I do know that it was a great weekend for relaxing, enjoying good company, and good food.

I'm starting to think that 30 something marks a turning point where you realize that you have become an adult... and you can look at other adults and see that for the most part, until you hit the really frail stage, we're all at the same level. And really... nobody is getting more mature that where they are at.

I'm thankful to be a part of a family that makes the effort to get together like this... it's a beautiful community that forms so briefly every two years.

I'm looking forward to the next one two years from now.

No comments: