Friday, January 23, 2009

The End is near.

It's Friday, and this Monday starts my last semester as a student. Forms are being signed, papers written, and soon... I will be done.

It's sort of strange to think of the past 5 years going by so slowly and yet so quickly. For example... when I started Seminary, Gray's Anatomy was just a pilot... and look how far they have come now! As I was starting seminary, Merideth and the crew were just starting residency to become surgeons. And now, just 5 years later, they will make more in an afternoon then I make in 6 months as a pastor! (Both as actors and surgeons!)

And the excitement is building in the midst of the tired. Half of me is dreading Monday and being back in classes for more information to be pounded into my head. And the other half of me is starting to dream. This is the half that is looking at the different camps that need resouce pastors. This is the half that is thinking of meeting my first confirmation class this fall... perhaps my first confirmation retreat. My first cluster meeting is coming. My first letter of call. My first time to preside at communion. It's a whole bunch of firsts.

In some ways I'm going to have to question the wisdom of the process as finishing seminary can be tiring and hitting the first parish while tired would not be a good thing. On the other hand, I'm ready. I've been told that everything you learn at seminary will get you through the first 5 years of ministry, and then you better be learning more as you go. And perhaps there is wisdom in this. Without this extended formational process, perhaps you don't have the tenacity to stick it out. Perhaps you need to be in a place like the seminary for this extended time to be ready to weather what is to come in the years ahead.

I'll be turning 33 this summer... which is about the same age that Jesus was when he started so I think I'm in good compandy. But as I start to make my plans, I think that I'll be looking to go for at least 30 years and this is best part. As I sit here with my child asleep on my chest, my eyes blood shot from lack of sleep and exhaustion, with a move to a new community coming and courses started on Monday... I'm leaning into the future. I can't wait to get started on the next phase. I'm going to miss this place terribly but it's time to go. In fact, it's overtime to go... I should be going... I want to be going but there are these last 5 months before I'm in the parish (at best... could be longer...)

So... perhaps it's time to assume the change now... shake of the tiredness of today and start living in the dream that is my vocation, career, calling, life... Or... maybe I just need some sleep.

Look out world, I'm a few classes, a colloquy and and interview away of becoming Pastor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Jesus was dead at 33...

But yeah, soon it will Rev. Sean Bell, Rev. Erik Parker. Then again, when you look around at all the faces at that first cluster meeting you will probably say, "These people are really pastors too? If THEY are, I should have been ordained after the first semester of seminary". Okay... I am a little cynical.

BTW, I am thinking about working at camp this summer... PC at Mulhurst... its crazy, but my sister got me on the idea.