Monday, November 27, 2006

The Tiger Within

I'll tell you what I was thinking... I wasn't.

The puck is in our end of the ice. There is a scrum in front of the net... the puck goes away. I hear my goalie exchange words with one of the opposing players… Not nice words… the beast inside growls… I lose interest in the game itself.

The puck is shot in from the point… my goalie makes the save… the whistle goes… this player runs the goalie (or at least tries to… I mean, there were a few people there and it wasn’t much of a run but I know the intent). I don't think... I pounce.

237 pounds of Sean comes crashing down behind my right hook which lands square in his face mask… a scuffle ensues… someone pulls me off.

2 minutes for roughing (the secret is to hit once, and leave the gloves on - with a little more luck, it might have looked like I merely fell - although the fans tell me that it was pretty clear that I was hitting him.) He got two minutes for roughing the goalie.

I wouldn’t describe myself as an angry person… in fact… I don’t think that I actually hit him out of anger… I think that I hit him out of some deep code embedded into all defencemen… I didn't have to think... my goalie was hit and there was only one course... If I were in minor hockey, my coach would have praised me when I got back to the bench... but what I am impressed with is how quickly it all happened. One second we are playing hockey… the next I’m pouncing. Perhaps it’s just a cultural thing and not an anger thing at all. He got the message and there was no more trash talk with the goalie after that so perhaps it was just my way of saying ‘don’t do that.’

I wonder if these skills can transfer over into church council meetings?

8 comments:

Drew said...

Awesome, that totally makes me happy!
Drew~

Erik Parker said...

Dude, I think he was lucky. It could have been 320 pounds of Erik dropping a people's elbow on his knee. I almost hopped over the boards and jumped on the pile.

Unknown said...

Wow. Some instincts just never change. How the Vauxhall & District Minor Hockey League has marked you... forever! (I don't know what's up with the Arborfield, Sask. mention in the link, but I'm pretty sure they're talking about Vauxhall.)

anno said...

roar. roar....ROAR.
love Elijah

mark said...

I came here after rereading my pastor's (kevin powell) last sermon and your comment there; based on all the coincidences, are you the same 120 pound Sean Bell from the Scandia/Vauxhall corner of highway 36 that I remember from some 15+ years ago? ... and is miguel your older brother/my friend that I lost contact with some 13 years ago?

If so, Mick M (1st year sem) should have my email address (he better, after all the times I covered our Sunday school class for him!)

Regardless, I pray for God's blessings upon your ministry ... and defending your goalie!

Unknown said...

hey mark h! what's up?

A J Craig said...

Sean! Just found the ol Blogaroony! Looking forward to reading more of it!

Rev. Michael Macintyre said...

A note for Markh -
yes, I still have your email address!
-mick